Objectives listed in the Letter of Good Intent for Cross-Border Local Authorities of Albania, Montenegro and Kosova (2006):
- Cross-border municipal cooperation beyond boundaries, and for reciprocal participation in the development programs of common interest;
- provide institutional support for local and regional sustainable initiatives according to the frame of BPP development;
- support of development, promotional and advocacy actions of the Coalition for BPP;
- promotion of the importance of the establishment of the BPP to local inhabitants and communities within the trans-boundary region;
- establishment of a regional committee in cooperation with the central governments and international institutions, for coordinating and guiding the development policies in the trans-boundary region;
- cooperation with international institutions and the donor community to support local communities, and to increase human capacities in the trans-boundary region of the fore-mentioned countries, as a symbol of peace, local sustainable development, freedom of movement, environmental care and cultural heritage values.
Every year since 2008, B3P has coordinated annual Summer Programmes (the first in Thethi, Albania) that provide children with Environmental Studies and English lessons. These summer programmes have brought hundreds of new visitors and academic research projects to the region.
Examples of Trans-boundary efforts include: the 2010 International Permaculture course (Thethi, Albania); the 2010 Summer Camps coordinated with the Environmentally Responsible Action (ERA) group and The Ideas Partnership (TIP) (Rugova Valley, Kosovo); the 2014, 2015 and 2016 Summer Camps coordinated with Prokletije National Park (Plav and Gusinje, Montenegro); the 2010 exchange visits to and from Yorkshire Dales National Park (UK).
We have helped many walking, climbing, bike and horse treks through the mountains of the cross-border area, offering our knowledge and expertise in researching old and new routes. We have helped to open or re-open several roads, footpath, and hiking trail crossing-points between all three countries: Albania/ Montenegro, Montenegro/ Kosovo, and Albania/Kosovo, some closed for more than 90 years. More detailed information can be found in our documents section.
B3P has helped sponsor, fund, and organize international conferences (some with UNEP) at Shkodra, Podgorica, Prishtina and Plav (Montenegro).
B3P has been short listed for two major awards: from the British Guild of Travel Writers (November 2007) and the Alternative Rich List (September 2009).